Wednesday, June 19, 2019 – East Tour:
The tour buses will load up outside the Holiday Inn starting at 7:30 am, and then will depart for Fort Steele at 8 am. Here is a breakdown of the day’s tour:
- 10:00 – 11:15 am – Fort Steele with a brief tour of the Lincoln Highway in the area given by Steve Horn with the Wyoming State, Historic Trails, & Trails.
- 11:45 am – 1:30 pm – City of Sinclair – This will consist of a tour of parts of the Parco Hotel (Sinclair was formerly known as Parco), a visit inside the Parco/Sinclair Museum and a lunch at the park across the street from the Parco Hotel that is catered by Su Casa.
- 2:00 – 2:30 pm – 1920s Lincoln Highway bridge off Black Butte Road south of Interstate 80. Local historian Ed Varley will give a talk about the bridge and the highway.
- 3:00 – 4:15 pm – Point of Rocks Stage Station. The bus will head to Point of Rocks and visitors will again listen to Varley at Point of Rocks Station, which served as a stop on the Overland Stage Route. The tour will end then go back to Rock Springs.
- 5:30 until about 9 pm – Dinner on your own and the Rock Springs Historical Museum will also be open till 8:00 pm this evening for the Conference.
Friday, June 21, 2019 – West Tour:
The tour buses will load up outside the Holiday Inn starting at 7:30 am, and then will depart for Evanston at 8 am. Here is a breakdown of the day’s tour:
- 10:00 am – Jim Davis will lead us down the Lincoln Highway in Evanston with brief stops with at the Sunset Cabins. The bus will then stop in downtown Evanston and a tour of the Evanston Hotel that operated during the Lincoln Highway’s heyday will be given. A Lincoln Highway/U.S. 30 dedication is also planned. We will also visit the Uinta County Museum.
- 12:45 pm – back on the bus to the Fort Bridger State Historic Site. Passengers will get off around 1:30 pm and then lunch will be served as catered by Dang Good Smokehouse & Bar-B-Que of Evanston. After about a 45 minute lunch visitors will get to tour the whole site, which includes a look at the Black and Orange Cabins.
- 3:30 pm – onto Lyman to look at the 1928 original LH concrete post.
- 4:00 head back to Rock Springs.
Drive on your own option that evening – Guests will be also be able to enjoy an outing in Green River which will consist of a visit to the Sweetwater County Historical Museum, a a walk around downtown, and see parts of the Lincoln Highway. The evening will culminate with a 7:30 pm dinner at the Hitching Post, 580 E Flaming Gorge Way, Green River, WY 82935.